[C38] Fwd: Re: (no subject)

Glen Robinson g.a.robinson at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 13 18:04:58 EDT 2006

  Having had prior failures involving the cables and the turning blocks of the steering system on my C-30, I opted for a below-deck pilot, which could serve as a back-up steering system, in addition to the "auto" function.
  I first installed an Alpha.  Be warned:  Don't make this same mistake!
  After a year of b.s., blame and evasions by their service rep, Alpha directed me to one of their Bay Area dealers for an evaluation of my unit.  That technician documented 17 different malfunctions in a 30-minute bench test, which was terminated when the unit began emitting a growing volume of smoke!
  I then returned the unit, together with their dealer's test results and a demand for the return of my money.  Alpha kept the unit, kept my money, and have not responded to any communication since.  I filed a lawsuit, but Alpha moved to Nevada, then Washington, and I decided to go cruising rather than spend the money to pursue them.
  I then ordered an Autohelm 6000.  It took a couple of days to install the complete package, including DS, KM, WS, and we left for Mexico only a few weeks later.  During that cruise the Autohelm drove at least 90%, and has hardly missed a beat in over 4000 blue water miles.  I did have two small problems after 2 years: the wind direction indicator became erratic, and the lamp quit on the Autopilot..  Despite being beyond the warranty period,  Autohelm made the repairs at no charge, and the unit works fine today.  Autohelm now is Raymarine, and I highly recommend RayMarine--both for their quality and service.
  I will be happy to share details about both the Alpha and the Autohelm for those interested.....
  Glen
  SNOWBIRD, C-38 #296