[C38] Fw: Paint Job

Charles Finn charles at finn.ws
Sun Jan 15 19:26:17 EST 2006

I painted the deck last spring.  This is a bigger job than it first
looks as you should remove all deck fittings!  I left the lifeline
stantions on as I had just re-set them last fall.  I might also consider
leaving the car tracks on as they are a real pain to remove and re-set!
I removed all the teak except the door molding, traveller, tracks, cabin
sliding cover and it's cover, all winches, anchor locker door and
hardware, vee-birth hatch, and all cleats, guides, etc.  While the teak
was off, I stripped it and then went to Cetol (don't know how this will
work in the long run, but it sure was easier to do a good job on the
rails while they were off).  Do make sure you put the hundreds of
screws, bolts, washers, lock washers, nuts, etc. in clearly marked
baggies!  Remember that many of these bolts require one person in the
cabin and one on the deck!   This is even more challenging if you decide
to remove the tracks as bolt length varies.

I first tried using the non-skid paints, but quickly gave up as they
don't seem to allow more than one or two brush strokes before the
non-skid begins to clump....   and it takes a lot more than a couple
strokes to work the paint into the existing tread.  I finally settled on
a two-tone interlux topside paint scheme.  Seattle gray for the non-skid
areas and a semi-gloss white for the rest.  Each coat took about a quart
of each.

1.  Plan on at least two and better... 3 coats.
2.  Be sure to meticulously clean the deck as any wax or whatever as the
paint will look great for a couple weeks and then shed.  This was
especially problematic around the cockpit drains (I have to put another
coat in the cockpit in the spring).
3.  Be careful regarding choosing high gloss and the bright whites as
they can blind you coming out of a shaded cabin!
4. You should probably buy stock in 3M as you will be using many rolls
of blue painters tape!  You have to tape twice (once for the non-skid
areas and then the opposite for the smooth parts).  Be sure to wait at
least a couple days before doing the second tape job as it will pull up
the paint.
5.  I used a combination of 4 inch ultra-fine nap roller and high
quality brush to make it over the large areas and get into the all the
nooks and crannies along the rail.
6.  This is also a great time to fill any voids in your deck.  I had a
large one around the mast that took over a liter of West Epoxy.
7.  Be aware that all those holes in the deck have to be temporarly
filled to keep out the rain.  It is even better to fill them with epoxy
and re-drill, but I only did this where I found some leaking and rot.

This all took about 10 long work days over three trips to the boat.  I
got a great tan.  The resulting surface was too slippery at first, but
got better after about a month of sailing.  One thing I really hate
right now is dropping anything on the deck as each scratch is like
getting one on your new car!

Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn  #114