[C38] Photos of Port cockpit locker mods.

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 7 19:16:35 EST 2006

Hi Russ and gang,

This is an old sketch of the cutout I made when I cut out my sail locker floor.  I made reinforcements to go between the angle aluminum to pads bonded to the hull to give strength to the floor.

I don't have a photo but you really can't go wrong as long as you don't try to get too close to the outside edge against the hull because the hull wraps under the sail locker and if you don't leave at least a couple of inches of lip you won't have enough room for the angle aluminum underneath that's  needed to make a lip for the cutout to sit on.

I countersunk my bolts holding the aluminum leaving a smooth flush surface on the sail locker floor.

Replacing the rotten wood steering stop is not fun but at least it's possible now without being 2' tall or removing the engine.  I went back with wood but I used cell cured treated lumber instead of standard wood which as we now know can and will rot.

I have my water pump and water filter mounted under the forward original section of the locker floor which is about 7" wide from the cutout to the forward bulkhead.  Putting them there is out of the way, easy to get to when needed, and the pump is very quiet.

I am strongly of the opinion that the sail locker should have had a false floor from the factory but at least this is a modification that we can easily do.

Good luck.

Tom Troncalli
The Renata hull #95
St. Pete, Fla