[C38] Handicap rating

Bill King wcking1 at cox.net
Fri Mar 17 13:31:32 EST 2006

Handicap ratingMike,

I have an 84 shoal draft in SoCal and it has a phrf rating of 123.  Fin keelers rate 114 here.  No adjustments for props or furling gear, it is assumed you have the fastest stuff available.  We do well in long offshore races where the percentage of offwind racing is high.  Newport Ensenada race is one example.  On Windward/Leeward courses we just can't point as high as the fin keelers, as much as 8-10 degrees lower.  The shoal draft keel is actually faster from about 55 degrees to 180.  It just doesn't like going to weather, so we pick our races carefully.

Bill
Island Starr
Dana Point, CA