[C38] Catalina 38 Offshore Sailing

PitesaJ at peteramayer.com PitesaJ at peteramayer.com
Tue Apr 18 14:59:35 EDT 2006

>What about the cockpit scuppers, are they large enough?

They are large enough on the early models.  However, without a checkvalve
of some sort, which is not on the earlier models, they are large enough to
let out any water I have experience entering the cockpit, and large enough
to let IN the same amount of water in following seas.

>Has anyone done any modifications to the cabin entry hatch to reduce its
size, or isn't it a
> problem?  The cabin entry hatch is quite large for offshore sailing.

The problem with the companionway is the reverse angle of the aft end of
the cabin top.  With this and the size it acts as a funnel to direct water
down below.  The only solution I can see is a dodger, which I would not go
offshore without again.

The only other problem I have incurred, other than any leaks, is the
drainage in the anchor locker, very inadequate.

Jan Pitesa
Mysteri
New Orleans

             Rob Cornelsen
             <robcornelsen at yah
             oo.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  Listserve at catalina38.org
             Listserve-bounces                                          cc
             @catalina38.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [C38] Catalina 38 Offshore
             04/18/2006 10:16          Sailing
             AM

             Please respond to
                Catalina 38
                 Listserve
             <Listserve at catali
                 na38.org>

John,

Make sure that yu inspect and replace all of the
tru-hull fittings and sea cocks.  Our Catalina 38 had
small leaks around several of the fittings. When I
replaced them it turned out that there was no exterior
flange only a pipe glasses into the hull.

Rob Cornelsen hull # 223