[C38] The floor is ripped out, now how to epoxy in the new wood?

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Mon May 15 23:11:44 EDT 2006

Hello Russ,

When the back stay knee rotted out on my boat, I ground out all the wood from one side and laid up layer after layer of fiberglass until I had the thickness of the original wood.  It's  a slow process but it will never rot again.

Is the wood between the cockpit sole and inner hull liner?  If so, that isn't structural and you may be able to stiffen it up by just filling the void with expanding foam.  I bedded my new holding tank that way.

I connected a long piece of ice maker hose to a can of expanding insulating foam so I could start from the far side and as I emptied the can, I pulled the hose towards me.  I used a couple of cans to bed the entire holding tank.

18 yrs ago I stiffened the hull on my Catalina 27 which I still have using this procedure. I applied foam between the inner and outer hull.   To this day, the hull feels like it's 12" thick when you pound a fist on it.

Wood is a cheap way for manufacturers to make boats stiff but wood rots.  If your problem is between the hulls, you may really want to consider using expanding foam and leave the wood for the termites.

Tom Troncall
Renata hull #95
St. Pete, Fla