[C38] Genoa sheet foot block

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Sun May 21 21:09:03 EDT 2006

Phil: We use the foot blocks. They are oldebutgoodie Schafer's, "battleship
issue" with 3 3/4" diameter aluminum sheaves and a 7\8 " stainless center
shaft. The Schaefer replacement is ca $1,000. The Garhauer replacement,
even with custom bolt pattern, is about $225. I almost bought Garhauer
replacements, but first gave renovation a try. The renovation worked. I
rebuilt the sheaves by sanding out the interior of the bushing to enlarge
the interior diameter. The sheave had corroded at the bushing
interface.  The corrosion expanded the bushing, decreased the interior
diameter and caused it to seize on the heavy stainless shaft of the block
body. These blocks are exposed to huge forces when you crank on that winch
to flatten the headsail. From what you describe, I would recommend the
Garhauer replacement. Call them and chat; they are very interactive and
helpful. As I recall, there is a knowledgeable woman concerning blocks.
don