[C38] Powder-coating steering pedestal

PitesaJ at peteramayer.com PitesaJ at peteramayer.com
Thu May 25 09:34:57 EDT 2006

I did Mysteri's myself several years ago and it still looks new.  Cut it
all the way down, used aluminum etching compound, two part primer and your
favorite two part topside paint.  Applied all with cheap PreVal sprayers.
Did not power coat but by cutting all the way down and using the etching,
the pedestal has a dimpled look.  It was fun and am very pleased at
outcome.

Jan Pitesa
Mysteri
New Orleans

             "Duff, Russ
             (R.W.)"
             <rduff at visteon.co                                          To
             m>                        "C38-List
             Sent by:                  (Listserve at catalina38.org)"
             listserve-bounces         <Listserve at catalina38.org>,
             @catalina38.org           c38 at lomwsm21.mwlo.mailwatch.com
                                                                        cc

             05/25/2006 06:36                                      Subject
             AM                        [C38] Powder-coating steering
                                       pedestal

             Please respond to
                Catalina 38
                 Listserve
             <listserve at catali
                 na38.org>

I was thinking of refinishing the steering pedestal on my 1981 while it is
removed for repairing the rotted cockpit sole (which is progressing
SLOWLY... damn rain!).  Originally I was only going to paint it then I
thought powder coating might be better.  Has anyone done this?  If so, how
do you like it?  How much would it cost? What were the pedestals originally
finished with (mine is a 1981 model)?  Thanks for the info

Sincerely,
Russ Duff
Catalina 38, Hull #112
"AVANTURA"