[C38] Propeller issue follow up

Mike and Jeannie Yount mandj3 at cox.net
Mon Jun 12 21:27:42 EDT 2006

Max and others, I installed a Campbell prop about three years ago. I gave
Campbell all the info they needed to calculate the correct size. Based on
all the info I could find our transmissions have a 2 to 1 reduction.
Campbell said I would need a 14x10 prop.After installing the prop I was
tickled to death. I could motor at 6.9 to 7.2. at 80% power.(so I thought) I
went to open her to see just what she would do wide open.Well, I was  wide
open. I was prop limited by at least 500 rpms.Got to checking ,put a digital
tach on the prop shaft at the rear of the tranny,did the math only to find
out my hurst tranny was a 1.79 to 1.Called Campbell,they said to re-pitch to
14x8.(you are suppose to get 200rpms for every inch of pitch) Long story
short, I lost boat speed and only gained 200 rpms.Tranny went out and I
replaced it with a 2 to 1 reduction,re-pitched the prop to 14x9, still prop
limited and I get soot all over the stern at the exhaust outlet. Campbell's
are nice props ,but make sure you get the right pitch. The cupping on the
blades does put a lot of extra strain on the engine and tranny. You can
really tell a difference sailing with the Campbell over the old 3 bladed
Michigan props.Hope this will help \.
Mike
"Moonraker" C-38 #204