[C38] Mast Rake question.

Jim and Barbara williams at barbara-james.com
Wed Jun 28 13:03:43 EDT 2006

Have you sighted up the mainsail luff track to see whether the mast is bent?
I installed Spartite on my 38 to keep the mast in the center of the hole.
The wedges used to drop out of the partners when I really cranked on the
backstay, but I don't remember the mast looking as though it was leaning
forward.

Could your forestay be too short?  As the rig is tensioned this might cause
the mast to bend aft in the middle, which could explain both the forward
rake and the location of the mast at the partners.

Jim Williams

   _____