[C38] Fuel tank removal

Gus Woods gwoods at dineout.org
Thu May 3 10:41:56 EDT 2007

A couple of years ago there was a question posted about possible problems removing the fuel tank and the general answer was "It's too easy to warrant any advice!"

Either my tank is not where the others are or I'm not as smart as the rest of you because I can't see how I can get the screws out without cutting an access port in the forward panel under the quarter berth. Love & Luck was built in September of '79 (#46 I think) and the tank is under the quarter berth with the forward edge of it several inches past the edge of the access panel above it. There are two flanges welded to the back of the tank with three screws in each and I can feel a similar arrangement on the outer edge of the front of it but I will have a difficult time getting a screwdriver on any of those three and I cannot get my arm anywhere near where the fourth one is likely to be. If I can get those nine screws out I may be able to move it enough to tear out the remaining three.

I can put it back by creating a slot for the forward flanges to slide into but I am curious about whether that is where they are all located.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.