[C38] Yanmar starting problem

eyriepg at comcast.net eyriepg at comcast.net
Sat Jul 14 18:14:15 EDT 2007

While few of you have Yanmar engines, my symptoms are probably not unique to this engine.  Sometimes when I press the engine start button, nothing happens.  Most of the time that this is an issue, there is no sound at all.  The second or third press of the button works every time.  I think..??....that I can hear the starter start to engage some of the time that it doesn't start.  This has been a problem off and on for about 2 years.  Last week when I was about 50 miles from anything, the radar/chartplotter consistently dropped off when the engine failed to start.  Now that I'm contemplating a longer cruise I think that I should fix it.  Another fact is that it almost always starts first thing in the morning leaving the dock and it is more likely not to start after I have been out sailing for a couple of hours.  I had my batteries checked and they are excellent.

Any wisdom would be appreciated.

Phil Gay
C38 049 Que Linda
Everett, WA