[C38] Sloping floor

eyriepg at comcast.net eyriepg at comcast.net
Tue Nov 27 13:04:56 EST 2007

It appears that several changes were made to the Catalina 38 in 1982.  One of them was to change the sloping floor to a slight step down going forward.  We have the slope covered by a sole fitting carpet and nearly everyone who comes aboard for the first time nearly takes a tumble on the slope.  I would guess that the slope is safer after you get used to it being there.

Another 1982 change was the shape of the galley countertop.  The sinks appear to be moved outboard and the countertop raised about 2 inches.  The drop leaf counter extension was eliminated and an extra drawer was placed under the counter at its end.  I value my early model drop leaf table and the extra large dry storage locker that having the sinks inboard gives me.  But, it is a pain in the back using the lower countertop level.

I imagine that 1982 also brought the larger fuel tank with the larger cutout in the quarterberth platform.  Our cruising on the inside passage really warrants the larger fuel capacity, which I try to replicate with gerry cans of fuel on deck.  I was planning to add a larger tank, even moving the raw water intake, but I am concerned about engine access.  Que Linda was refitted with a Yanmar 3GM30 and the oil dip stick is aft on the starboard side of the engine.  If I add the larger tank, I doubt that I will have access to the dip stick and fuel pump/filter.  HAS ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH DIESEL BLADDER TANKS?

Another change around 1982 was the step at the head of the v-berth.  The earlier C38s had a step below where the plug fits in the v-berth.  Later models have a bit more floor space when the plug is out.

Another circa 1982 change was the addition of a boarding ladder in the aft rail of the cockpit.

Anyone think of other 1982 changes?  I will write them up and submit them to the webpage.

Also what year did Catalina Yachts add the flush windows?  It must have been around 1987 or 1988.

Phil Gay
C38 049 Que Linda (a 1980 model)
Everett, WA