[C38] rain in mast to floor then bilge?

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Mon Jan 15 14:28:10 EST 2007

Move to California, the 9 year drought pretty much clears it up...
Seriously, though, we had Spartite added on JACE and that pretty much
eliminated the "drips to the cushing" problem.  However, the seal under
the "tophat" around your mast might be leaking at the deck interface.
They had to make sure that was sealed as well.  We also have one of
those sleeves around the mast inside the cabin.  It was there when we
bought the boat.  It is made of some sort of leatherette (like
naugehyde) and fastens with velcro.  That seems to help protect the
cushions from mast sweating.  Before that we used to tie a bit of line
around the mast with a "lions tail" hanging down into a bucket.  It
didn't eliminate the problem, but sure contained it.  If the bucket and
rope are clean you also can gather fresh water this way (I don't think I
would use it for drinking, but it could be used for washing or wiping
down the cabin).

We haven't noticed any problem lately, but there hasn't been much rain,
and we are not on the boat when it is this cold (<50 degrees here) due
to no heater for the boat.  This spring I guess we will see how well we
have done.  The side cushions were getting dripped on sometimes, but
that appeared to be from the stanchions.  We rebedded those this year
and that seems to have pretty much stopped it.

Regards,