[C38] Pipe Berths

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed Feb 7 16:55:32 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 06:14 -0800, morris pam wrote:
> Anyone ever construct or use pipe berths?   I'm
> interested in fitting one out for offshore racing.  I
> haven't been successful in finding much information on
> either constructing on or purchasing one
> pre-fabricated.    Ideas?
> Thanks Pam

I have used one.  But not on a yacht ;-o
If you are thinking of putting one on a C-38, that might be a bit of a
job.  Generally the berth would be supported by some pipe run along the
bulkhead for one side of the berth and allowed to swing on this line.
Approximately 30" away you will need some support mechanism.  The Berth
itself can be made from 2" or so pipe, supported by the pipe along the
hull at one side and by the straps or pipe rails at the other side.  The
side rail support should be adjustable, so the bunk can be adjusted for
heel (assuming that on a long race you will not change tacks during a
shift except for an emergency or storm prep).  The material to support
the sleeper should be cloth, not net.  The material should be roped and
grommeted so it can be stretched between the bunk rails as it is laced
(if it is not tight, the sleeper will be forced to lay on their back,
and may find it uncomfortable).  When off watch, the bunk can be "triced
up" that is swung up vertically and tied or strapped to leave more room
for moving around.  A caveat is that in tight quarters, the pipe rails
are a real hazard, slamming into one of them during a storm can cause a
body real damage, like broken bones or a dislocated shoulder.  Not much
give in the pipe and especially if it is in use and a good sized body is
in it.  Not to mention the disturbance to the sleeping crew.  I would
recommend a 2" mattress on top of the cloth.  You don't need too much,
but some is really nice.  Make sure it is closed cell foam, so it won't
absorb body odor.  Use slip covers rather than sheets.  It is easier to
make up, doesn't wrinkle, and keeps the matteress clean.  If hot bunking
it can be rotated between shifts to give a "cleaner" feel to the next
occupant.

	Personally, having slept on pipe bunks, I wouldn't recommend it.
However for a rough and tumble racer it would be useful I guess.

Regards,
Les H