[C38] changing halyard

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Feb 24 13:43:00 EST 2007

I also use StaySetX on JACE.  It holds better than wire, is not as hard
on the winches, and also after 5 years shows almost no wear.  Like wire,
after about 20 minutes of sailing, you need to retension it for full
support one time.  Splices are hard to do, so if you splice your own
follow the directions for StaySetX.  I tried my old technique of binding
in a thimble, but it gave after one season.  Using tubular fids of the
correct size, working the line well to get the dimensions right, and
making the splice seems to hold quite well.  The fibers are tough.  Your
knife will be dull, and if it doesn't have a rigging edge (sort of
blunt, like a cleaver) it will be notched by the line.  I guess that
tells you how tough it is.

	It is hard on the hands.  You will definitely want to wear gloves when
winching.  I only use it for halyards because of that characteristic.

Regards,
Les H
Les & Nancy
JACE