[C38] Bottom paint

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Thu Mar 1 09:09:45 EST 2007

Phil.
    Wasington's prohibition against in-water scrubbing is interesting.
Last time around we got 4 years from our bottom job in San Francisco Bay
with Trinidad regular and twice annual diver gentle scrub. It would be
interesting to learn the rationale against in-water scrubbing. If it
leads to more frequent bottom jobs, it could lead to more pollution
unless every site where a bottom job is done is an advanced catchment
with well regulated toxics removal and disposal. Even then, more
frequent bottom jobs means more toxic paint in land fills.
    The slime is an issue, indeed. Fast sailing for long periods does
reduce it.
regards, Don

Rich West wrote:
> I've been really happy with Trinidad SR on my boat in Los Angeles.  It
> is much better at reducing slime than the plain old Trinidad I had on
> before and it's been lasting very well.
>
> Are you sure it's a hard paint?  When I touch it with a rag, clouds of
> red come off into the water.
>
> Rich West
> Legacy, #360

Donald R. Strong