[C38] TBT bottom paints are bad actors

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Thu Mar 1 12:26:28 EST 2007

Actually TBTs are very damaging to marine life and have been highly
regulated for this reason since the early 1990's.
Below I have pasted part of the abstract from a typical paper from the
literature on this phenomenon.
Don
C38 Discreet Charm

D. S. Page, T. M. Dassanayake, E. S. Gilfillan. 1996. Bulletin of
Environmental Contamination and Toxicology (1996) 56:500-504.
Relationship Between Tissue Concentrations of Tibutyltin and Shell
Morphology in Field Populations of Mytilus edulis
Abstract
"While tributyltin (TBT) -containing antifoulants have seen widespread
use in the past, their use has now been restricted in many countries due
to evidence of adverse effects on marine life (Waldock et al. 1987; Anon
1994). For example, TBT has been found to be acutely toxic to many
species of marine invertebrates at very low water concentrations in the
?g/L - ng/L range (Maguire 1987; Snoeij et al. 1987; Joshi and Gupta
1992). Concern about the adverse effects on marine life of TBT leaching
from treated surfaces has resulted in controls on its use in France, the
UK, the USA and elsewhere. (Waldock et al. 1987). Even though regulation
has reduced environmental levels of TBT (Waite et al. 1991; Anon 1994),
localized sources of TBT such as shipyards and commercial ship traffic
remain
potentially important....." (Abstract continues...)