[C38] 5424 Transmission model

Bill King wcking1 at cox.net
Wed May 2 18:32:38 EDT 2007

Max,

I replaced mine two years ago with a new Hurth HBW100 1.79:1 ratio.  I have an 84 C38 Hull #278 with the same engine/trans setup as you.
The trans is bolted to the bellhousing from the inside, so you have to remove the bellhousing before you can unbolt the trans.  It helps alot not to have the hot water heater in the way.  The bellhousing/trans assmbly does come out through the port cockpit locker in one piece.
Be sure to replace the drive plate at the same time.  It's the part attached to the flywheel.  Prices in October of 2004 were $1030.00 for the new trans and $85.00 for the drive plate.  I used Marine Engine & Repair, Inc. in Seattle, Washington.  The website is www.merequipment.com
Phone is 1.800.777.0714
They were great to deal with.  Best price anywhere in the U.S. and they were very helpful on the phone.

Hope this helps some,

Bill King
Island Starr, #278
Dana Point, CA