[C38] 5424 Transmission model

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Wed May 2 21:31:22 EDT 2007

As a side note, transmissions and differentials will use a gear ratio that will not be an even ratio so that the gears will always mesh with a different position on each revolution.  This makes the gears wear evenly instead of possibly some gears wearing more than others and then causing a hum or vibration.  With an even ratio, any gear with a flaw would keep hammering that flaw into the same spot on the opposing gear.  With an odd ratio, the flaw will hit every tooth on the opposing gear making even wear.

On a differential, the pinion gear will never have a number of teeth that will evenly divide into the number of ring gear teeth.  Transmission gears work on the same logic.  When a transmission is referred to as a "2-1" ratio, they are using round numbers and are not using literal numbers.   A 1.85-1 could easily be called a "2-1" ratio for simplicity, even if incorrect.

Tom T.
Renata hull # 95
St. Pete, Fla