[C38] Traveller adjustment when close hauled

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Tue Jul 3 22:19:15 EDT 2007

Charles wrote:
> Note:  Cliff sent this to me and I am passing it on to the group for a
> great discussion!  cf
>
> Cliff wrote:
> Being the new owners of '83, #259 Catalina 38, our recent
> sailing experiences have us pondering a question for other more
> "experienced" 38 owners.  To trim the mainsail correctly to weather,
> we have to travel it up well beyond center.  Is this a familiar
> condition for other owners?
>
> Cliff Hunter
> Portland, OR

Cliff,
    Traveler setting when going to weather is crucial. We have raced
Macavity for many years and have upgraded our traveler control lines for
ease of trimming. We have the traveler itself marked with stick on
numbers from 1 to 6 (or so, I forget) on each side. This way when you
tack you can get the same setting. In light air, 10 knots or so, we
usually have the traveler set at 1 to 1 1/2. As the wind comes up we
have the traveler above the center as much as the helm will permit. As
the wind comes up, pressure will build on the helm. You can relieve that
pressure and sail the boat on its lines by dropping the traveler below
the center line. Mr. Olin Stevens designed the boat to sail on its feet
and it does best when you let it do that. Reducing sail when you first
think of it is a good policy. Joe Launie, Commodore, Macavity Hull # 365