[C38] Yanmar starting problem

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 14 21:57:15 EDT 2007

Hello Phil,

If your Yanmar is typical, it has two wires going to the starter solenoid, one very large cable from the battery and one very small wire  from the starter switch which is the control circuit to energize the solenoid to actuate the starter.

If your starter switch is getting old, it could be failing to send that control voltage to the solenoid.  This is fairly typical of a salt water boat.  The easy way to test the system is to remove the small control wire from the solenoid and connect that wire to a grounded test light and have someone watch the light while another person turns the starter switch to the starter position.

You could test the switch at the engine control panel but if it passes there, it won't really tell you if you have a bad connection from there to the starter solenoid.

If you identify the three connections on the starter switch, it will help if you ever need to "hot wire" the switch.  An alligator clip jumper wire between the +12v supply connection and the accessory terminal will operate the fuel pump and any other accessories on that circuit and a jumper momentary contacted between that +12v connection and the starter solenoid terminal will bypass the starter switch to crank the engine. This is also a good way to "hot wire? the boat if your keys are ever lost or stolen.

Like I said, I'm not familiar with the Yanmar but I've had my share of similar problems on other engines to know the engine control switch is a likely culprit for intermittent starting.

If your solenoid circuit tests out OK, you may have a dead spot on the starter armature which will mean removing the starter and having the armature commutator turned on a lathe to clean up where the brushes contact.  If the commutator isn't too bad, you can sometimes fix it with sanding with a piece of plumbers hardware cloth but make sure you check it for roundness if you use this method.  Make sure to scratch between the individual commutator contacts with the tip of a small jewelers' file to make sure there are no short bridges.  Not everyone has access to a metal lathe but the lathe makes sure of roundness of the commutator of the armature.

If you do the tear down yourself, any starter/alternator shop should be able to turn your armature for a minimal fee.  If you determine the starter solenoid is at fault do NOT buy a solenoid from the engine manufacturer until you check for a generic solenoid from an automotive parts store.  Universal wanted several hundred dollars for a solenoid and I found an EXACT replacement for the Universal 5424 at Advance Auto Parts for about $35!  It seems some Toyota vehicles use the exact same solenoid.

Let's hope it's the ignition switch or associated wiring in any case.

Tom Troncalli
The Renata #95, St. Pete Fla