[C38] [SPAM] Re: ROLLER FURLER

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 13:47:59 EDT 2007

Hi Patrick,

I installed a  HOOD 915SL roller furler on Estancia last year. This is the
most economical option. I think that it has been replaced by a new model.

 While checking all my options, I went for a furler that can be installed
over the existing headstay with no mods required. If my memory is ok, Hood
and Pro Furl don't need any headstay mods. Furlex comes with a new headstay.
Schaefer needs a small mod on the masthead fitting.  Old Harken's came with
new headstay, but I think that the new ones just need a small modification
on the turnbuckle.

On my furler  all the foils are joined together by rivets. If I have to
replace the headstay, I just drill them out to disasemble and then install
new ones. Other furlers have small screws. Without proper maintenance, they
can get seized and that will require (sometimes) drilling and more work. Of
course, it only happens when a furler is really old!

One thing that I really like of my furler, is that if I need spares, I can
access their webpage, select the parts and order them directly.Mine was used
and I got some parts with from Pompanette real fast and easy, but if I had
to buy a new one ( assuming no taxes will be charged here in Costa rica),
I'll go for a Pro Furl; it has been heavily recomended by bluewater
cruisers. If racing is an option, Harken.   just my opinion!!

Happy furler shopping,

Max Soto
C38 #198 ESTANCIA
Puntarenas, Costa Rica