[C38] fuel tank replacement?

eyriepg at comcast.net eyriepg at comcast.net
Tue Sep 4 16:43:51 EDT 2007

I had an experience similar to Joe's this summer.  I filled the tank completely and left the boat for about 5 days.  I was somewhere between horrified and dismayed when I returned to our boat.  It smelled fumey and, when I lifted the hatch in the cabin sole, I found about 1/8" of diesel floating on top of my bilge water.  Fortunately two of the oil absorbing tubes quickly and completely extracted the fuel.  The problem was the gasket around the fuel gage sending unit was not tight.  I use that hole to suck condensation and sediment out of the low corner of the tank every spring using my oil extraction tube.  This could be your problem if your tank is completely full.

My fuel tank is not original, but I have read that the original tank was 35 gallons.  Attached is a Catalina Yachts drawing of the original tank along with installation instructions.  I too would like the extra cruising range that the larger tank would give me.  Would those of you who have the original tank confirm the dimensions of the drawing attached?

Phil Gay
C38 049 Que Linda
Everett, WA

From: Joseph Launie <jlaunie at cox.net>