[C38] Purchasing a Catalina 38 (maybe)

David L Ryan david at dlrfilms.com
Sat Sep 8 10:07:08 EDT 2007

Joseph, Marc,

Thanks for the warm welcome. If we do end up acquiring this boat I
will definitely join the association. Some things I know about the boat.

The currently owner purchased the boat about 4 years ago. At the time
of purchase standing rigging had recently been replaced,  there was a
newly rebuilt engine, and the boat had been re-wired with top quality
materials, but a substandard knowledge of wiring. Cosmetically the
boat was somewhat shabby, with dull paint, faded or torn cushions, etc.

Since acquiring the boat he has straightened out the wiring, replace
the head and associated plumbing, repaired some minor blistering, new
paint top and bottom, replaced the running rigging, added a solar
panel charging system sufficient to keep the house running so long as
there is sun, fixed/replaced leaky windows, and generally spruced up
the boat. By his description she's not in bristol condition, but
she's sound, with all systems functioning properly. He and the boat
are recently returned from 30 days in the Bahamas self-contained. The
only problem they had was a lack of sun for the first week forced
them to run the engine a little to keep their beer cold.

He expects that when haul a survey will show some few, easily
repairable blisters, some moisture reading in the deck, some wear on
the sails, perhaps a minor leak or two he's missed, and the other
things one expects to find in 30 year-old boat, but nothing dangerous
or expensive to repair. (For example, right now he's double hose-
clamping his through-hulls because he knows a competent surveyor will
make note of that.)

The seller and I have agreed on a price, and in about 4 weeks time
I'm going down to spend a couple days on the boat, including a full-
day's run with the seller to the boat yard where we will haul for the
survey. Hopefully my time with the boat will only reveal that his and
my assessment of the boat is accurate, and the survey will merely
confirm what we already know about the condition of the boat.

Should we purchase the boat, there are already a couple of things I'm
keen to get for her/do to her.

*I'd like to get some self-steering gear. Any opinions on what works
well with the Catalina 38, or what should be avoided would be most
welcome.

*I'd like to rig an inner forestay and get a staysail. I've seen the
how-to on Catalina38.org, and it looks straight forward enough. A
used sail in reasonably good condition is sufficient.

*I think I'd like to get a cruising spinnaker. Again, a used sail in
reasonably good condition is sufficient. Again, any testimony,
positive or negative is most welcome.

Thanks again for the warm welcome. With a bit of luck, I'll soon by
joining the ranks of happy Catalina 38 owners.

-D