[C38] alternator

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed Oct 17 12:39:49 EDT 2007

One thing to point out here is that there is a known weakness of the
Universal Diesel 5324 types front plate, and I managed to crack mine.
Treat the alternator and its mounting gently.  Mine cracked near the
front seal, and the replacement cost would have been over $2400.  In my
case, the engine was working fine, but the Removal & Reinstallation cost
+ the front plate & repair would have been nearly half the cost of the
new engine installation, so I put in the new engine and transmission.

	As they say, your mileage may vary on this.  By the way, though, I had
put a 90A alternator on mine, and the additiional stress may have been
the ultimate problem that pushed it over the line.  But I would still
not put too much stress on the Alternator bracket, since the pivot point
is on the front plate.

Regards,