[C38] performance

eyriepg at comcast.net eyriepg at comcast.net
Sun Oct 28 13:05:02 EDT 2007

Rather than handle dock lines, my wife likes to dock our boat when returning to our marina.  What can I say?  Maybe I shouldn't have named the boat after her.  At least, I get to do the docking in most other marinas.

While pulling into our slip, I have found that if I step off the boat with a short aft spring line (attached to the primary winch) and a bow line I have complete control over the boat.  The pull of the spring line on the primary winch is nearly perfectly aligned with the CG of the boat.  If my wife can attach this spring line to the dock while I am at the helm, I can make the boat go where I want with power and rudder.  I realize that this wouldn't work while backing into a slip though.

Phil Gay
C38 049 Que Linda
Everett, WA
From: "Kenneth M. Sutto" <kmspacific at hotmail.com>
  I recently bought a '83 Catalina. I am in the process of getting to know the boat and how it handles. It has the standard Universal 21hp engine and two blade prop. My big problem is every time I try to back out of my slip the stern wants to got to the port no matter which way I turn the wheel.  I have a tight slip length and width wise.
Is there some way I can get more control performance wise other than getting a bigger engine? Would a three blade prop help? What is the best way to turn the wheel once I get water flowing past the rutter?
Ken  Catalina #251