[C38] Catalina 38 sailplan

Phil Gay eyriepg at comcast.net
Tue Apr 22 00:23:20 EDT 2008

Mr David Epstein,

I addressed this to the list-serve, but my question is directed to you,
David.  I was told that Superstar or another C38 tried a longer boom and
mainsail foot back in the 80s at the C38 Nationals.  Apparently, the larger
main didn't perform well enough to compensate for the rating handicap.

Most production boats these days are going with a larger main and a smaller
jib to ease handling.  From a cruising perspective, how did the longer
mainsail foot affect the balance of the boat?  Would enlarging the main and
going with a smaller headsail make the boat easier to handle for a baby
boomer?

Phil Gay

C38 049 Que Linda

Everett, WA