[C38] Wiring Question

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Wed May 14 03:07:11 EDT 2008

I am getting ready to replace some of my wiring and my electrical panels.  I have been drawing up my schematics and would love some input on my calculations and assumptions.  I have based my assumptions on an all night sailing scenario with continous use of systems that would quickly draw down my batteries but conservation is another topic at this time Im more interested in determining proper wire size for peak usage.   Ive assumed that I would be using:  3 cabin lights (4.5 amps), Running Lights (2.5 amps) VHF (2 amps), Depth and Knot (2 amps), Wind (2 amps), Auto Pilot (1 Amp) Radar (8 amps) GPS (3 amps) Heater (8 amps) and Refrigeration (5 amps) for a total of 38 Amps multiplied by postive and negative wire run length of 15 feet (Battery Cable to the batt switch then from there AWG 6-8 to the pos. bus and from the neg. bus back to the battery) which equals 570 Famps.  Based on the wire charts for a 3% drop this puts me in the 6-8 AWG wire size to and from the batteries.   Any comments on any of these numbers is greatly appreciated.   Refrigeration, Heater and lights are  variables calculated on the high side just to be safe.

Thanks all,

Steve
Peregrine #312