[C38] One of my many projects

Phil Gay eyriepg at comcast.net
Mon Jun 9 14:27:07 EDT 2008

One of my projects is to fix some of my deck water leaks.  I was getting
brown water dripping around the port aft lower shroud chainplate, more
specifically from the inboard bolt which attaches it to the deck.  I had
tried sealing it from the outside without removing the chainplate.  The
chainplate is a complex weldment that fits up under the deck and is bolted
(4 bolts) to a small plywood bulkhead which is bolted via 2 heavy aluminum
angles to a shelf below the cabinet.   I quickly figured out that I would
have to drill out plugs which hold the face of the cabinet on.  This was
actually easier than I thought it would be.  There are 2 screws in the head
that hold the face in place also.  Then I had to remove the bulkhead in
order to lower the chainplate through the deck.  The hardest part was
removing the screws that hold the shelves in place.  Also the bulkheads are
tightly wedged in under the trim strip that hides the hull to deck bolts.

I got the chainplates out – both sides were leaking.  Between the outer
fiberglass layer on top and the hull liner were two layers of wood.  The
upper layer was about ¼ inch thick and the lower one was closer to ½ inch
thick.  The upper layer was wet but not delaminated, but the lower layer was
solid as a rock and dry.  I plan to put a vacuum cleaner hose on the
chainplate hole and try to suck the moisture out.  Any other ideas?  Then my
plan is to dremel out the core and fill it with thickened epoxy.  After
resurfacing the hole, I plan to reinstall the chainplate using 4200.  Again,
any comment?  Questions?  The chainplate looked good though a bit stained.

Phil Gay

C38 049 Que Linda

Everett, WA