[C38] Binding Halyards/Masthead

Russ and Karleen Duff avantura at comcast.net
Sat Jul 5 01:35:58 EDT 2008

I finally got the motor put back together and running, and now I have a
problem with my main and jib halyards; they are both badly binding. I have
no idea what could be causing this except that either the halyard sheaves
are frozen, or maybe one, or both, of the lines have come off-track (they
were fine at haul out at the end of the season). I am planning to go up the
mast tomorrow to inspect things and hope for an easy fix.  If it isn't, and
I need to dig deeper inside, how does the masthead come off? Can it be
removed with the mast up? I wouldn't think so because aren't the fore and
aft stays connected to it?  If it can't come off, is there any way to access
the sheaves while it is on? This s_cks, I finally get the motor fixed, and
now it's something else (I guess that's what you get with a 27 year old
boat). Any advice would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Russ Duff
Catalina 38, Hull #112