[C38] Up the mast without a backstay? (Was Binding Halyards/Masthead)

Duff, Russ (R.W.) rduff at visteon.com
Mon Jul 14 12:44:31 EDT 2008

Well, I went up the mast yesterday to try to find out why my halyards were
binding. I double-checked everything before going up and found only the main
halyard was jammed; not also the jib as I previously thought. Isn't it great
when a job gets simpler? I then went up the mast and once at the masthead I
saw that the problem was just that the halyard had jumped out of the sheave
and was between it and the center divider (no dead animals down inside
somewhere!). Nothin' like an easy fix! Well, I gave up almost two hours
later with the halyard still in the same position, and after having used
three different sized screwdrivers that were sent up by bucket, and using
various attachments on my Leatherman. There is just too much stuff hanging
off of the aft end of the masthead (namely the topping lift and backstay
toggle) to get anything in there effectively and pry the wire out. So, I am
planning to head up there again and remove the topping lift and backstay so
that I can have full access. I am also going to bring a piece of steel a
little bigger than a metal ruler which should enable being able to push the
wire into position. My question to everyone is, is it ok to go up our masts
without the backstay connected (would there be enough support from the aft
lower shrouds), or should a temporary stay be rigged from somewhere above
one of the sets of spreaders before removing the backstay and going up?
Thanks.

Sincerely,
Russ Duff
Catalina 38, Hull #112