[C38] Suggestions/Catalina 38 For Sale

Russ and Karleen Duff avantura at comcast.net
Tue Aug 5 21:58:16 EDT 2008

I just did this repair last month; the pipe that connects from the exhaust
flange to the first 90 degree elbow snapped in two. It was a standard NPT 1
1/2 inch pipe nipple. I bought a replacement piece of galvanized pipe at
Home Depot. The only problem I had was a stud snapped on me when removing
plate at the end of the exhaust manifold.  I ended up drilling it out and
re-tapping the hole and installing a new stud (all from Marine Diesels
Direct). Also, to get the pieces of tube out of the elbow and the manifold
plate, I had to use a hammer and chisel to pound the tube into a U shape top
loosen it up to get it out. All in all, it wasn't a hard job, just a pain in
the butt. FYI, if you don't already have the floor cut out of the sail
locker, I would do that first.

Sincerely,
Russ Duff
Catalina 38, Hull #112