[C38] more on the MOB (actually WOB) in So Cal

D. R. Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Mon Aug 11 16:47:38 EDT 2008

Note: No pfds.

Women Overboard

The gals (Nauti Chicas <http://nautichicas.blogspot.com/>) who regularly
race the Antrim 27 "Rattle and Hum" here in SoCal, had a harrowing
experience this weekend. Racing in the Santa Barbara to King Harbor
<http://www.khyc.org/racing/2008/santa_barbara/2008_final_finish_results_080208_1645.pdf>
race, off the wind in about 20 true, they spun out, ejecting
owner/driver Sue Senescu and mainsail trimmer Judy Karlson into the
water. We spoke with both Sue and Judy on the phone today and Judy said
that while getting chucked off the boat, she got tangled up in the
sheets to the point that the boat was dragging her under. By the time
she untangled herself, the boat had drifted away and she couldn't get
back to it. She treaded water for about twenty minutes and was getting
tired as daylight was fading. Fortunately, the J/37 Sidekick was nearby,
heard about the distress on the radio, found Judy and pulled her aboard.
Owner Senescue made it back to Rattle and Hum and luckily, everyone was
safe. We'll have a complete story from Sue later, but this one could
have easily turned out far worse.

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/index_page2.php

--
Donald R. Strong