[C38] inflatable tenders

Charles charles at finn.ws
Mon Jan 28 12:01:36 EST 2008

I took a different path this fall as I finally gave up on my West Marine
inflatable (Hypalon).  The West Marine has been a challenge since the
third year I had it with floor seams giving way and leaks in the
pontoons.  During one trip, the whole port side bottom seam gave way,
which allow me to reliably tell all that these boats will motor (slowly)
while there is a much water inside as outside!  So, after hundreds of
dollars in repairs for an inflatable that spent only one summer at a
dock and the rest stored on board (remember I am in fresh water and sail
less than half the year as well), I went on the market.
After some real soul searching regarding "name" brands, etc.  I bought a
PVC Baltic 9.5' with inflatable floor for around $580 delivered.  It was
made in Korea and has a 5 year warranty.  I used it this fall on a few
voyages and was quite satisfied.  It is a bit smaller than my West
Marine 9.5, but it also weighs a lot less.   My calculation is I can
easily buy two + of these for the price of an Hypalon unit even if it
only lasts the length of the warranty.   The plus is I get a new one
along the way!  Time will tell if this was a good idea, but the price is
very, very good and nothing could be as bad as the West Marine!

Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114