[C38] Compression relief on Universal Diesel M30/5424

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 13 19:44:32 EST 2008

Hello Russ,

I've never seen a 38 with the compression release connected.  I guess it was intended as an owner upgrade.

If your engine throttle cable ever broke or was damaged so you couldn't bring the fuel to idle, you could have serious problems.  Things like that only happen when docking, etc.

One other reason for the compression relief is if the engine is ever cranked with excessive fuel or oil in the manifold from an overhaul, etc., the engine could over rev quickly if there was no way to either cut off the air to the throttle body or by releasing the compression.  Some mechanics use a rag to gag the air intake but I've seen rags swallowed and the engine kept running.

If you do intend to use the compression relief for cranking and not as an emergency shutoff, try letting the engine spin and then releasing the compression relief to get a good cranking speed from a weak battery or failing starter.  This method is especially good on a cold engine where cranking is more difficult anyway.

Tom Troncalli
The Renata