[C38] Speaking of prop struts...

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed Feb 20 19:27:43 EST 2008

Hi, Mark,
	Most manufacturers and many others will simply thread the backing plate
to hold things on.  It is more secure in most applications than a nut,
since it removes one potential spot for the vibration to find something
to loosen.  In addition, for fixed items, the bolt may be pinged over
once it is snugged, and then simple vibration will not be able to free
it.  It would take real torque to remove a pinged bolt from a plate.  It
is somewhat equivalent to a rivit holding the bolt in place.  (The end
of the bolt is driven by a hammer until it mushrooms out over the
threaded holder to prevent the bolt from backing out.)

Regards,