[C38] SSB Radio Grounding

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 11 16:57:54 EDT 2008

Hello Larry,

I grounded my SSB to the engine via a pair of wires held to the hull by
copper foil.  There is a flexible wire connection from these radials to
ground the rudder also.  The ground from the antenna to the engine is my
main ground with the grounding terminating to the engine which is also
bonded to my fuel tank, propeller shaft, keel, stove, and mast.  Virtually
everything metal on my boat is bonded together so they all become part of
my counterpoise.

I don't think you can have too much grounding with a SSB.  Since my mast
and boom are connected to the keel and all the other bonded items, I was
afraid the close proximity of them to my insulated back stay antenna would
lower my impedance too much and effect my SWR but it seems to tune in fine
on any HF frequency without problems.

Tom Troncalli
The Renata hull 95
St. Pete, Fla