[C38] SSB Radio Grounding

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Mar 15 19:36:11 EDT 2008

Hi, everyone,
	I just realized that I wasn't clear on this grounding issue.
DC return is not RF ground.  DC return is the (usually black wire) DC
connection carrying the
amps required by the radio.  This has to return to the engine.  On the
transciever, there should
(on all radios for marine use I have seen anyway) be  a ground stud with
nut
and lock washer.  This is usually labeled RF ground.  But occasionally
there is no label.
This stud is for the ground counterpoise.  If you ask 10 engineers or 10
amatuers you will
most likely get 20 good answers to how to manage this ground.  However,
be aware that RF
doesn't flow like DC.  As it goes around corners, or through wires, it
builds up fields.
These fields like to increase the effective impedance (think of it as AC
resistance, but
affecting only current or only voltage).  As this occurs spikes in
current or voltage will
be created.  If there is no low impedance path to prevent high build up,
these "loops" of
voltage or current can be quite high.  This is what can harm your diodes
in your engine's alternator.

If a good low impedance path to earth is provided, earth will absorb the
power from the reflected energy
and prevent the loops from getting too high (at least that is a
convenient way to think of it).

So the right or at least the best solution is a separate very low
impedance to earth for the RF ground.
That means using either some ground plate on the outside of the hull, or
a large area of metal inside
the hull below the water line to act like a capacitor to pass the RF
signal to earth ground through
the hull.  Whatever the choice, it should have a copper ribbon of
sufficient width (about 1 or 2") to spread the field as it runs to this
very low impedance ground.  Be sure that this ground also goes to the
tuner for the antenna.

	I am not saying this is the only way, just that this is the safest and
most efficient use
of the RF signal and to prevent damage to the boats other electrical
systems from stray RF, along with reduced RF burn or shock hazard to you
when you work on other systems (preferred is to shut down the SSB any
time you are doing
electrical work on a small vessel.)

	DC return, that BIG BLACK wire carrying 10-15Amps for a 100 watt radio,
should go directly to the engine block, and should be sized for 25 Amps
using standard wire size for the length of the run.  Most systems I have
seen use #8 or #10 wire for up to 25 feet for both red and black (+12
and return).  Gordon West has some good information in his book.

Regards,
Les H