[C38] Need PYI Flexible couplin model#

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 10:56:08 EDT 2008

Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot for all the info. Now I know what to expect!
I thought that it was going to be easier!!! I do have a very tight space
between the packing and the coupling , so I hope it fits. I think that I can
have the flange locally made. Last year I pulled the transmission and rebuit
it. I took the flywheel  to be rebuilt because the rivets where gone. It is
working quite good, but if I ever have to replace it, the PYI is what I had
in mind.
Could you please send me some pics of your locker mods.

Max Soto
C38 #198 ESTANCIA
Puntarenas, Costa Rica

2008/3/25, Tom T. <tdtron at earthlink.net>:

>  Hi Max,
>
> I don't have the PYI information any longer but when I replaced my
> Universal coupling with the PYI unit, PYI knew exactly which coupler I
> needed.   You will also need a shaft flange which I was able to find
> locally.  The PYI unit is not a flange and coupler combination like the old
> coupler.  I had to machine a little off the new flange to make it mount
> without moving my motor forward but your boat may have ample clearance.
> Mine is a shoal draft version and the new coupler/flange was slightly longer
> than the old Universal unit.
>
> I replaced the flywheel damper at the same time, also from PYI.  The
> Universal flywheel damper can have spring failure from years of fatigue.
> The PYI flywheel damper is also made from the space age material the shaft
> coupler is made from.  Unlike the original Universal damper, the PYI
> unit has captive fingers so if it ever fails, you won't lose propulsion.
> Ditto for the shaft coupler.
>
> The transmission will have to be removed to replace the flywheel damper
> and if you have modified your sail locker, removing the transmission is time
> consuming but not difficult.  Without the sail locker modification, it's
> next to impossible.
>
> I am very pleased with the PYI upgrades.  The boat is much smoother with
> these two PYI products.  The people at PYI are very knowledgeable and can
> help you with ordering the proper products.
>
> Even though the PYI shaft coupler is forgiving with any slight shaft
> misalignment, if you follow their directions you can achieve a perfect
> alignment making the best possible vibration free coupler installation but
> do the final alignment with the boat in the water so any hull flex will be
> adjusted out.   This is impossible when the boat is out of the water because
> the hull will distort when out of the water making a misalignment when you
> launch again.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Tom Troncalli
> The Renata, hull 95