[C38] Radar installation advice

Charles charles at finn.ws
Fri Apr 11 10:03:43 EDT 2008

I am installing radar on the Mighty Quinn in preparation for my trip
through the Great Lakes this summer which will include wandering among
giant steel battering rams (commercial shipping), who don't wish to
debate navigation rules.  Tonnage rules is the byword and my personal
experience crewing on a 600' ore boat back in the 1960's supports this
as part of my night watch responsibilities was to make sure the pilot
was awake.... and yes I often had to wake him!
I have purchased the Furuno 1715 during the Defender spring sale.  It
comes with 30 meters of cable to connect the masthead unit to the panel.
1. Is this enough and
2. where did folks mount the control unit and run the cable?

Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114