[C38] History of the longer boom

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Tue Apr 22 16:38:14 EDT 2008

Max,
There is more to the story. In Oxnard, CA a boat called Dragonslayer
decided to try to stay within the 10 percent factor for a 6 second
penalty. They added a longer boom and a main one foot longer. We raced
against them frequently in Macavity and altho they were faster they
often were not 6 seconds/mile faster. I remember one 20 mile race which
ended at Channel Islands Harbor breakwater in 25 knots of wind with
Dragonslayer surging across the finish line first with her chute up and
Macavity 2 boat lengths behind. We were both doing close to 8 knots.
Joe Launie, Commodore, Macavity