[C38] Bedding Shrouds and leaks

Charles charles at finn.ws
Fri May 9 00:15:12 EDT 2008

Phil,
On the Mighty Quinn, the collar does not extend through to the cabin
(there is a collar on deck and a mating collar in the cabin, with a gap
between them).  This allows water to flow down the mast and into the
cabin/deck interface.  I was told during my last survey this is a common
problem that leads to voids around the mast, which was certainly true in
my case!  When I put in the Spartite (that was the product I could not
remember), I had to build the dam below the deck collar and this was
well into the ceiling.  Indeed, I was not able to completely remove the
clay dam until I removed the mast last fall as it was too far up the
mast hole and I could not get to the port side.
By the way, I highly recommend Spartite.  My mast and collar had taken a
beating over the years with perhaps a too zealous application of mast
shims.  Spartite solved this problem and I no longer get any water
coming in the cabin from the mast.  Even better, mast stress on the deck
is evenly distributed which can never happen with shims.

Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114