[C38] Exhaust manifold/exhaust flange on Universal 5424/M30.

Duff, Russ (R.W.) rduff at visteon.com
Tue Jun 3 10:29:00 EDT 2008

Well, to quote Tom, my life has "become pure hell."  Yup, the stud snapped
off. After crying like a girl for a few minutes while looking at the tight
space and imagining the hell of what it would take to remove the exhaust
manifold, I looked at things again and thought it won't be too bad, but it
still $UCKS THE BIG ONE!!  Best case, I can just get a drill in there and
drill the old stud out and re-tap a new hole and either insert a new stud,
or just use a bolt.  Worst case is the muffler is in the way so I will have
to remove it first, and maybe remove the hot water heater before drilling
and tapping the manifold. (Am I correct in assuming only a few screws are
holding the muffler in?) I actually had to do this before on the engine in
my Bronco when I noticed one of the bolts that held the intake manifold in
place had sheared off.  I was able to drill and re-tap without removing
anything, using the manifold as a guide for the drill. Also, it looks like
I'm not the first one this has happened to; the bottom fastener actually has
a bolt, not a nut on a stud like shown in the drawing for the motor. While I
regain my courage, I will figure out how to get the rest of the pipe out of
the flange, and rebuild the exhaust pipe.

On an aside, I think I remember a discussion a while ago about who actually
made Universal diesels. I would like to know this to try to find a local
source for parts in the future; one: to save time, and two: to save cost.
Does anyone know who this is and what their model number is?  Thanks.

I suppose I could just go totally retro; it is a SAILBOAT; do I really need
a motor ;-) ?

Sincerely,
Russ Duff
Catalina 38, Hull #112