[C38] emergency starter button

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 9 13:53:01 EDT 2008

Hi William,

To install an emergency starter button all you have to do is connect a
momentary button switch between the + hot wire to the starter switch and
the connection going to the starter relay.  This will energize the starter
solenoid but not the lift pump which runs from the "accessory" connection
of the switch.

Most diesels will run with a bypass switch without the lift pump running if
they don't have any air leaks in the fuel lines and filters.  It is
dangerous to run without the lift pump because the smallest leak will cause
a loss of injector prime causing the engine to stall but if your system is
sealed very well, the engine could run forever without the aid of the lift
pump as long as the fuel filters were kept very clean.

Tom Troncalli
The Renata hull #95

where a boat got hit by a tanker ( no one was hurt just the owners pocket
book with fines) when they couldn't start their engine because the key had
broken off in the slot. He told me he has an emergency start button no key
required. I did not want to appear dumb as he owns a Cal 33. So does anyone
have this system and if so is it easy to install?