[C38] Knott Transducer

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Mon Jun 9 17:44:15 EDT 2008

I wouldn't splice a radar cable, but I don't think it would affect the
range resolution very much (the pulse width is typically about 90 radar
feet in width) until you get to the 4Kw and higher power radars.  But
the rise time of the cable needs to exceed 10MHz, which can be met with
connectors, but not typically splices.  Affecting rise time would cause
you to miss small targets completely.

Sounders are probably not affected by splicing the cable.  I think they
are much lower in frequency (typically hundreds of kilohertz vs 10 or
more Mhz for radar, so they can pass through splices easily.  Also they
are not typically affected by the internal cable delays (speed of light
vs speed of sound in water), so I think no problem.

Knotmeters are in the 10's of hertz (if that), so no problem with
frequency, and the signal is typically current, so as long as the
connection is sound, it should not be a problem.  However the temp gauge
would probably not work right, since these are typically low voltage,
low current devices, and leakage current (signal going through the cable
insulation to ground) may cause an offset in accuracy.  However most of
them can be adjusted (calibrated) to offset any such losses.

Regards,