[C38] Binding Halyards/Masthead

Duff, Russ (R.W.) rduff at visteon.com
Thu Jul 24 08:15:16 EDT 2008

Seeing all of the messages pop up reminded me I didn't send an update.  The
second time up the mast everything worked fine. I used the jib halyard to
rig a temporary backstay, and once up I used some tape to hold the backstay
terminal out of the way after folding it upwards (I taped it to the mount
for the windex), and removed the topping lift using some string to keep it
from falling to the deck. I then used a specialized tool to push the halyard
back and up and over the top of the sheave and it dropped right in place. It
took longer to get everything out of the way and tied up than it did to get
the cable back in the sheave. The specialized tool I used was an oil pan
retaining bracket from a small block Chevy 350. It was the perfect width and
had the perfect curvature on the end. It is now going to live on the boat.
We can now finally get her out on the water, and it's only the end of July!

Sincerely,
Russ Duff
Catalina 38, Hull #112
"AVANTURA"