[C38] climbing mast

joe launie jlaunie at cox.net
Thu Jul 24 22:48:36 EDT 2008

William Knowles wrote:
> Patrick I read an article where a guy used a 4 to 1 block and tackle. He claimed it worked great but could not not to rest so he installed a hexicat block to take tension off the line. Not sure what he did when he got the top would not trust a hexcat to hold. I just pull my wife up that way I know I'll be OK but nothing will get fixed.
>
> Bill  Knowles

Bill,
    As a risk manager I am uncomfortable when anyone goes aloft on a
single halyard. A friend of mine named Frosty, a professional rigger was
killed a couple of years ago when a halyard failed while he was aloft.
Whatever you do to get up there, I would have a second halyard as a
backup with tension on it. We risk management types are also not
comfortable with people lifting heavy free weights alone or climbing
masts alone.
    Some years ago a very bad tempered fellow yacht club member had his
wife put him aloft. While he was up there he continued  to blast her for
this and that. She tied him off, got her purse from below and drove off.
I was in the next boat and stayed below laughing. When she came back an
hour later he was much quieter. Just a tip.Joe launie, Macavity