[C38] Cockpit layout

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 12:52:25 EDT 2008

One more thig that I forgot to mention.
The 1984 C38 Moquisha that came from factory with all the lined lead after,
also had the teak rails on top of the deck, installed a few inches closer to
the edge of the deck, so this gave it more room for the turning block
(original from Garhauer) that were installed perpendicular to the center
line of the boat. My teak rails are installed closer. There's only about an
inch and a half fron the risers, but I don't want to move the rails andmake
more holes on the deck. So, I'm going to install the turning blocks with the
same angle on each side of the ropes. This way they will fit, and handle the
loads better.

2008/7/24, joe launie <jlaunie at cox.net>:

> Max Soto wrote:
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> Attached is the deck layout from a C34. This must be close a C38, or a
> standard layout. I'm on the process of leading my lines after to the
> cockpit. I have the mast collar blocks, attachment pate, the turning blocks
> and a Lewmar 30ST and a turnbuckle that goes below deck that attaches the
> mast and deck so it won't rise under pressure. I just need to buy the clutch
> and that's it. A standard thing that I have seen on many boats is that
> mainsheet and main halyard are always located on the port side. I don't know
> if your boat came from factory with that configuration, but I saw a
> 1984 C38  that came with all the lines after, with main h and
> mainsheet like yours, and had the topping lift, jib halyard and vang on port
> side. Spinnaker halyard was on port.
>
> When I install mine, I'm going to install it like this, so all the load
> from the halyards won't be on one side at a time. Still haven't decide on
> wich side I am going to install top. lift and afterguy, but I guess they'll
> have to be on the same side. right?
> --
> Max Soto
> C38 #198 ESTANCIA
> Puntarenas, Costa Rica
>
> 2008/7/8, Steve Smolinske <SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com>:
>>
>>  I have a couple of posts held up by the moderator for size as well, so
>> Ill try to keep this to a short question without the aid of the pic or
>> drawing.  I dont like the way my cockpit is set up, mainly that the main
>> sheet and main halyard share the same winch.   Deck hardware includes on the
>> port two rope clutches and one lewmar 30, on the starboard one rope clutch
>> and a lewmar 16.   I am thinking that on the port is should go spin.
>> foreguy, spin t. lift, genoa hlyrd, main hlyrd, traveler,  then on the
>> starboard, traveller, mainsheet, vang leaving room on the deck organizer for
>> either cunningham or reefing, If this still makes sense what is the
>> starboard rope clutch intended for?  would you use it for the mainsheet?
>>
>> Steve Smolinske
>> President
>>
>> 4M Company, Inc.
>> 15660 Nelson Place South
>> Seattle, WA  98188
>> 425-227-4500
>> www.rainierrubber.com
>>
>> The information contained in this email may be confidential and/or
>> proprietary in nature and is intended for the recipient of the email only.
>> Please treat all information contained in this and any communication with
>> the 4M Company as such.  Thank you.
>>
>> P Before printing, think about ENVIRONMENTAL responsibility

> On Macavity I had the mast collar redone to include 10 places to attach
> blocks. I use them all. We have 2 lewmar 40s mounted on the deck aft of the
> mast with sheet stoppers in front of them. On the starboard side we have
> main halyard, topping lift and two spinnaker halyards.On the port side we
> [...]

Max Soto
C38 #198 ESTANCIA
Puntarenas, Costa Rica