[C38] [Fwd: winch servicing]

William Knowles william_k_19810 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 29 15:57:40 EDT 2008

Joe I just came the East coast rendezvous (more about that later) but there were speakers from Harken how to service a winch Lemar and Shelden. They all recommended the same things. To clean everyday items like cam cleats, roller furlers, Travelers etc. Joy dish washing detergent it will cut grease and grime and leave a slippery coating after being washed off. One major source of parts pollution is aircraft exhaust. Those black streaks  on your washed hull. Just squirt the joy in the openings move around and rinse well. To clean disassembled winches WD-40 cuts grease very well and displaces water but it is not a lubricant. Joy may work here as well in a bucket then rinse dry and followed by WD-40 let dry and apply grease as directed. I just downloaded the winch directions from the Lewmar site.
This was my first rendezvous and felt it was time and money well spent. There was some talk of complaints about the $140 price tag, I am not sure where these folks live but two dinners, two FULL breakfasts, open bar both nights, Cocktail open boat party (new 375) and ton of prizes including two one week vacations in Frank Butlers oceanfront house in Mexico seems like a great deal. I would encourage everyone to show up next year if you can I don't think you will disappointed.